Saturday, January 1, 2011

Building A Fort – Day 1

For Christmas, Christi and I decided to finally build our dream fort for the kids.  We have lots of full grown trees, but none that quite fit the bill.  So, for now we’re building our dream fort amongst the trees to give it the allusion that it is in one.  What do you do?

The week before Christmas I took some time off to start building it while Christi and the kids were in Tucson.  The first step in the project was to plant a telephone pole that was left on our property.  One goal of our dream fort is to keep it cheap by reusing as much material as we can around here.  Yeah right!  Nothing is cheap anymore.  But we have reused a lot of materials.  So, I’m sure we’ve saved half if not more. 

Day 1 was spent digging a 6 foot deep hole by hand.

_MG_2872

Then figuring out how to move and raise a 28 foot tall telephone pole.  I tried calling a tractor guy I know, but he wasn’t able to return my message until too late.  I called for reinforcements of brute strength, but that wasn’t available until too late too.  So, I started on my own.  First I tied a dolly to one end and dragged it over to the hole with the lawn mower.

_MG_2876

Still no reinforcements in sight.  So, I started jacking it up on my own.

_MG_2880

_MG_2883

Then it got more complicated and I wasted a lot of time trying different ways to get it up the rest of the way.  I finally worked it up inch by inch by using a secret method (kept ratcheting it up) and a bunch of luck that it didn’t fall over.

_MG_2885

_MG_2889

A whole day! For one pole!  Luckily it sped up a little after this.

No comments: