Sunday, March 27, 2011

Feral Hog Hunt in Texas

WARNING: I have lots of pictures on this one, but I’m trying to catch up… My brother, Doug, organized a hog hunt for my Dad and all my brothers on a ranch in Texas.  Even though I saw more deer than hogs, we had a great time.  I go along with my brothers on their hunt and take my camera to shoot with.  I got to test out my 2X extender with my EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM.  With my Canon 7D crop sensor, the 2X extender, and my lens, I could get out to the equivalent of a 640mm lens at f/5.6 and 18MP.  Here are some of my favorites from the trip.

Here are a couple of my Dad as we hiked around searching.

_MG_4936

_MG_4943

Aa hog’s skull we found while Hiking

_MG_4940

Most of the hunting was done from blinds near feeders.  While sitting there for hours, I had to take pictures of what ever I could.  I liked the backlit fuzz on this tree.

_MG_4949

There was plenty of wild life around… foxes, armadillos, hawks, cardinals, and a ton of deer, goats, and sheep and more.

_MG_5021

_MG_5055

_MG_5058

These particular goats where fenced in around the main ranch.

IMG_5046

Every night I would get about an hour to take photos of the stars before clouds would roll in and block it all.  Here is a 8.5 minutes shot pointing at the North Star (54mm zoom at f/2.8 and ISO800).  If I would have had more time, I would have liked to have made it much longer and zoomed in closer.

_MG_5067

And here is my favorite photo from the trip.  Some of the guys where in the barn with the lights on.  I gave it a 30 second exposure at f/2.8 and ISO 1600 with the 17mm end of my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens. 

_MG_4989

1 comment: