Thursday, August 12, 2010

A walk through the desert…

Simon was helping me chase down a road runner in the Saguaro National Monument when we heard a huge rattle that scared me to death.  For those of you that don’t know, I was bitten by a rattler when I was a kid… not fun!  This 4’ long rattle snake came out hissing and striking as it cut across our path about 20’ in front of us.  It didn’t want to play nice and pose for me.  So, my exposures are off a bit I was trying to take shots so fast that I didn’t get very good composition either… but it was exciting!  Here again I wish I would have been set up for a longer depth of field so that many of my shots would not have had a blurry head and sharp body.  I had plenty of space to bump up the ISO or reduce my shutter speed slightly so that I could have choked down the aperture a bit.  I think I’ll wear boots though and leave Simon at home the next time I go tromping through the desert. 

_MG_2446f/5.6   1/640   ISO 100
Canon EOS 7D with ‘EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS’ at a 229mm FL from 6.1m away - Cropped

My main goal is to become a good wildlife photographer so that I have something fun to do while hunting with my brothers.  So, it’s very exciting when I do actually see animals and can take pictures of them.  Of course there are usually birds around.  Flowers and insects can always fill the gaps too.  Here are some of the other pictures I took while in the Tucson desert.

_MG_2672 f/5.6   1/100   ISO 800
Canon EOS 7D with ‘EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS’ at a 250mm FL from 16.8m away – Cropped

2 comments:

Leah said...

Jeff....I think your knowledge has surpassed mine! I loved reading your posts and your pictures are beautiful...really. Doug said these should be in magazines!! I love you bought a camera and that you can do something fun while your brothers kill off animals...I have an article from Rangefinder that I am saving for you....Love your perspective on all the pics too!

Jeff said...

Thanks Leah. I'm afraid I'll have to work hard for many years yet to get as good as you. I'm anxious for you to give me some portrait and photoshop lessons.