Friday, September 3, 2010

Body and Soul

_MG_3412

There is so much to learn and experience in life.  Right now I’m studying the body and soul to help me better understand and identify truth.  I think the last 11 years of my life since college have shown me what the “rat race” is like, and it’s done a great job of distracting me.  I’m thoroughly enjoying photography because it gives me a chance to slow down and see reality through more than just logic.  I used to have a much more artistic side of me growing up.  I’ve suppressed that over the years in favor of following logic and fear.  Fear of job security, fear of what others think of me, fear of not being perfect… the list goes on.  I’ve relied to heavily on my logical/body side and not taken advantage of all that the spirit or soul has to offer in making me happy.  I like this this analogy from the writings of Chuang Tzu:

"Once there was a man who was afraid of his shadow and who hated his footprints, and so he tried to get way from them by running. But the more he lifted his feet and put them down again, the more footprints he made. And no matter how fast he ran, his shadow never left him, and so, thinking that he was still going too slowly, he ran faster and faster without a stop until his strength gave out and he fell down dead. He didn't understand that by lolling in the shade he could have gotten rid of his shadow and by resting in quietude he could have put an end to his footprints. How could he have been so stupid!”

1 comment:

Christi said...

I like your soul... and your body! :)