Sunday, September 12, 2010

Weddings on My Mind

Come June next year, I will have been married 15 years to my best friend.  15 years!  Wow, time is flying by.  I’m trying to prep for a wedding shoot, as the second shooter, on Saturday with my SIL, Leah.  I went back through the pictures from our wedding and found this one.  Yes, it really is me.  Christi is still growing more beautiful every day, but somehow I’ve changed a lot.  I’d like to see that tux fit me now… 6 kids later.  Or even after 2 years of being married.

_MG_4956

I’m stoked about doing a wedding.  I think it will be the ultimate in photography to capture those moments that people always want to look back on and remember with happiness and joy.  An anchor point or reference in their life.  That’s my goal.  My hope.  To have somebody look at the pictures I’ve taken and remember what they felt at that moment, or to be able to feel the emotion of the captured moment even it’s not them or they weren’t there.  Our wedding photographer (Lance Fairchild) did a great job, and I hope I don’t botch it for someone else’s wedding.  Luckily, I’m the secondary shooter.  I’ve got a long way to go before I would trust myself as a primary shooter.  They’ve got Leah who always does a great job of making people feel comfortable so that she can capture the moments. 

It feels like the last night before an exam I’m not ready for.  I’ll be spending every night this week cramming for their big day.  Thank goodness I have my best friend to bring me back to reality and remind me when I’m getting a bit obsessive on something.  Photography can easily suck me into the zone, but Christi is the anchor I need to keep me in reality and make photography a joyful life long pursuit rather than a burn out.  Enjoy the journey.  Right?  In fact, I think I’ve already been through this once.  I picked up photography back in 2002.  As most of my hobbies go though, I burnt out.  I think this time it will be different.  I’ve learned a lot about taking time to enjoy the journey since then and not letting balance get out of whack.  I’m happy to be a man, but sometimes that dang tunnel vision gets in the way of more important things.

No comments: